Bag Fee

We know that many of you have already adopted the State of Colorado’s House Bill 21-1162 instituting a fee on carryout bags, beginning January 1, 2023.

In 2021, the Colorado General Assembly enacted House Bill 21-1162 - Plastic Pollution Reduction Act requiring the following regarding the use of carryout bags throughout Colorado

A store is required to remit, on a quarterly basis 60% of the carryout bag fee revenues to the municipality or county within which the store is located and may retain the remaining 40% of the carryout bag fee revenues. [Note: Town of Monument stores may begin remitting on a quarterly basis beginning April 1, 2023.]

Please make your checks payable to Town of Monument and mail it to.

 Town of Monument Attn: Finance department

 645 Beacon Lite Road, Monument, CO 80132

To ensure your business is compliant with the state’s carryout bag fee requirements, please review the full text of HB21-1162 for a complete discussion of the requirements, restrictions, and penalties imposed under the act.

If you have any questions, please contact me at or call Finance Department at 719-884-8016.

Click HERE for more information regarding the Bag Fee