Town of Monument Social Media Posting Policies
Posts to Town social media sites will generally be reviewed and responded to during the regular business hours of Monay–Friday 8am–5pm.
Town social media pages were created as limited public forums to allow users to discuss issues directly related to the governance of the Town of Monument. All posted content must relate to discussion of Town programs, services, projects, issues, events, and activities. All content is subject to monitoring. Further, content and comments containing any of the following are not allowed and may be removed:
- Comments or content that are off-subject or are not topically related to the scope or context of the original post;
- Malicious or harmful software;
- Advertisements, promotions, or solicitations of a commercial product, business, company, organization or service;
- Content that violates any federal, state, or local law;
- Confidential, personally identifying, or private information as defined by State law;
- Content that is threatening, harassing, or discriminatory;
- Content that could be considered prejudicial, racist or inflammatory;
- Profanity, nudity (including, but not limited to, in profile pictures), indecency, vulgarity or obscenity;
- Name calling or personal attacks;
- False representation of another individual, organization, government or entity;
- Content that incites or promotes violence or illegal activity;
- Content that could compromise an on ongoing criminal investigation;
- Content that violates a legal ownership interest of any other party, including, but not limited to, plagiarized material or material that violates intellectual property rights or copyrights.
The Town reserves the right to restrict or remove any content that is deemed in violation of this Policy or any applicable law. Users may be temporarily or permanently restricted from accessing the Town of Monument’s social media pages if they repeatedly and consistently violate this Policy. To contest the restriction of access to a social media page, the user must submit to the Town of Monument Public Information Officer (email@example.com) a written statement providing grounds for reinstatement. Requests shall be responded to on a reasonably timely basis, and access shall be restored if it is determined that the grounds for reinstatement are sufficient. A statement that the user will abide by this Policy in the future shall be sufficient, except when a user has continued to violate the Policy after having made such a statement. Any content removed pursuant to this Policy will be retained for one year.
The Town of Monument’s Public Information Officer monitors the social media platforms the Town uses, but it is not responsible for content generated by users on these platforms. A Comment is the opinion of the commentator only. Publication of a Comment or image does not imply endorsement of or agreement by the Town of Monument. The opinions and/or views expressed on these pages do not in any way reflect the views of the site they are posted on, other sites affiliated with the site, the staff involved in maintaining the site or any members of the site. Comments and content should be understood to be entirely public, and users should not write Comments with any information that they consider, or would like to keep, confidential. We expressly disclaim any liability from any viruses or other contamination of your computer system or other devices used to access its social media platforms, and expressly disclaims liability for actions taken or not taken based on any or all contents of its social media sites.
All comments made on Town social media sites are considered public records and are bound by state and federal laws, including the Colorado Open Records Act, C.R.S. 24-72-200.1, et seq. External non-town links on this site do not constitute official endorsement on behalf of the Town of Monument. All links posted as comments on the Town of Monument’s posts will be reviewed and may be deleted.
We understand that social media is a 24/7 medium; however, our monitoring capabilities are not. We may not see every inappropriate comment right away, and we are trusting in the maturity of our community to ignore personal attacks and negative speech or respond politely.