The Planning Department oversees the development of the Town and is responsible for interpreting and administering the Town's Comprehensive Plan, Zoning and Subdivision Regulations. The department reviews and processes all development applications, including those that require a recommendation from the Planning Commission and approval by the Board of Trustees, as well as smaller-scale development applications and permits that are approved administratively.
The Planning Department handles all building permits and inspections within incorporated Town limits. To ensure that you are within the Town limits, you may go to the El Paso County Assessors site. If the Town of Monument is listed as the tax entity, then you are within the Town limits and are required to obtain a permit.
All building projects within the Town, including new construction, remodeling and repairs require general construction permits to allow construction, and trade-specific permits for each part of the project (Additional permit types and approvals may be needed based on the individual property and project).
The Department also assists in the planning, design, and construction management of municipal projects.
For Zoning questions, you may go to the Town of Monument website, Zoning Map.
For Municipal Code questions-https://library.municode.com/co/monument/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=MONUMENT_MUNICIPAL_CODE_2001
DEVELOPMENT PROCESSES (link)
Planning Checklists & Documents
- Annexation Checklist (PDF)
- Construction Documents Checklist (PDF)
- Downtown Sign Information (PDF)
- Final PD Site Plan Checklist (PDF)
- Final Plat Replat Vacation Checklist (PDF)
- Landscape Guidelines as of 1-16-18
- Landscape Plan Checklist (PDF)
- Preliminary Final PD Site Plan Checklist (PDF)
- Preliminary PD Site Plan Checklist (PDF)
- Preliminary Plat Checklist (PDF)
- Sign Application Checklist (PDF)
- Sketch PD Plan Checklist (PDF)
- Traditional Zoning Site Plan Checklist (PDF)
- Traffic Impact Analysis Criteria (PDF)
- Zoning Rezoning Map (PDF)
Digital Excel Permit Forms must be saved on your computer to complete prior to submission.
Why Get a Permit
· The law requires you to get a permit
· Permits provide third-party verification that you (or the contractor you hired) did the work to minimum code requirements
· Permits provide the homeowner with an inexpensive resource for construction-related needs
· Permits give you access to expertise in all fields including plumbing, mechanical, electrical and framing
Submission and Payment
The Town of Monument is happy to announce that we are moving to a more digital process. This will help ensure better communication and process information. Please keep in mind that location of the development may require additional fees, such as Triview. for the location maps of these districts. No payment will be due at the time of submitting the permit because use tax (Town of Monument or Triview) will not be calculated until processing. Please pick up and pay for permits only when approved.
· Open the permit application you wish to use from on this site.
· Save a copy onto your computer and fully complete the application form.
· Review the permit for its instructions of any additional documentation needs such
as construction drawings and site plans or landscape documents etc.
· Email the completed permit and all information to firstname.lastname@example.org
· We will review your request and contact you if there are any questions or concerns. (Please allow 5-7 business days).
· Once the permit is approved, we will contact you for pick up and payment.
· For payment you may come to the Town of Monument office at 645 Beacon Lite Rd. to pay with cash, check or credit card.
· A copy of the approved permit will need to be signed at the time of payment and you will receive a receipt along with your copy of the permit.
· Note that no work can begin until the permit is approved and issued.
The Town of Monument does require a business license for any work performed within the Town Limits. This can be applied for and paid at the Town offices or online-
You can also verify that your contractor has obtained a business license and a permit by calling the Town at 719.481.2954,
The Town of Monument, Colorado makes every effort to produce and publish the most current and accurate information possible. No warranties, expressed or implied, are provided for the data herein, its use, or its interpretation. Utilization of this Web site indicates understanding and acceptance of this statement.